Gamekeeper's Thumb Brace for UCL & MCP Joint
This thumb treatment brace provides comfortable support and immobilization to the injured thumb, while protecting it against further injury. It helps to stabilize the thumb and treat thumb pain injuries such as thumb arthritis, tendonitis, gamekeeper's thumb, skier's thumb, deQuervain's syndrome, basal joint arthritis and other general thumb related injuries such as a sprained or dislocated thumb.
The thumb splint only restricts the thumb and wrist, leaving the other fingers free for full hand mobility while wearing the thumb brace. The wrap around design of this gamekeeper's thumb treatment brace makes the brace easy to apply and adjust as needed. The adjustable Velcro straps allow one to customize the amount of compression that is applied to the thumb and hand. There is one strap that provides compression around the thumb and the other around the wrist.
Constructed of a perforated neoprene material that is soft and comfortable against one's skin. This neoprene material helps to provide compression and warmth to the injured area which promotes healing and reduces swelling and pain.
One of the best features about this thumb spica orthosis is the interchangeable stays or splints in the brace. This brace includes flexible, rigid, and malleable stays that can be removed if desired. These three different stays make the brace fully customizable to help provide ultimate support and comfort the user. The thumb brace has 3 different compartments that can hold any one of the stays and is enclosed with Velcro to keep it in place.
The flexible splint provides moderate immobilization to the thumb, allowing your thumb to move slightly. The malleable aluminum splint is moldable so it can be reshaped to fit the shape of your hand. Lastly, the rigid aluminum splint provides extreme immobilization and support to the thumb and hand.
This treatment splint features a universal design that will fit either the left or right hand. If the straps are too long, one may cut the straps for a better tailored fit.
To wash this brace, remove the stays and hand wash in warm water using a mild detergent. Make sure not to wring out the brace, instead blot excess water with a towel and let it air dry.
Gamekeeper's Thumb & Skier's Thumb Injury Treatment Brace
This bracehelps to treat a condition called gamekeeper's thumb or also known as skier's thumb. The injury refers to the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) being torn or ruptured, leaving the thumb joint sore and aching. The UCL is located in the metacarpophalangeal (MCP) joint where the hand meets the thumb. It helps to keep the thumb stable in order to grasp items. An injury to this ligament can be quite painful and result in a loss of function.
Gamekeeper's thumb has been around for a long time, dating back to the 1950's and receiving its name from gamekeepers participating in repetitive work to cause this work-related thumb injury. It is now a rather common injury that is now seen most frequently in skiers. The injury is caused when a person falls down and doesn't let go of the pole. The injury results from the skier's hand landing on their ski pole causing extreme force to the thumb and hand.
The thumb pain splint can even help relieve the painful condition of blackberry thumb or texting thumb, caused by repetitively texting on a cell phone. This condition causes the tendons of the thumb side of the wrist to become affected and irritated.
Another related condition that this brace can treat is called gamer's thumb. This is a repetitive stress injury caused by playing video games that affects the thumb and wrist.
Key Features of the Thumb Splint for Gamekeeper's Thumb & Skier's Thumb Injury
This universal thumb brace allows for full customization of the interchangeable splints. It helps to provide support and stabilization to the injured thumb, while protecting against further injury. The following is a list of features that make this thumb immobilizer a great fit for you:
- Helps to provide comfortable support and immobilization to the injured UCL
- Includes 3 different interchangeable stays including flexible, rigid, and malleable for user customization
- Allows for full hand function without restriction of the fingers
- Indicated for many conditions such as: thumb arthritis, tendonitis, gamekeeper's thumb, skier's thumb, deQuervain's syndrome, hitchhiker's thumb, blackberry thumb, UCL tear, basal joint arthritis, stener lesion of the thumb, trigger thumb, or any other general pain in the thumb or metacarpophalangeal joint
- Wrap-around style that is easy to apply and adjust as needed
- Features Velcro straps that allow one to customize the amount of compression that is applied
- Made of a perforated neoprene that is comfortable against the skin
- Color: Gray
- Available in one universal size that fits either the left or right hand
- Washing instructions: Remove metal stay and hand wash with warm water using a mild detergent or soap. Blot excess water with a towel and air dry. Do not wring out the brace.